Monday 3 October 2011

Photo of the Week

This photograph captures both a breath-taking and tragic moment during a fire in a Boston Apartment. Photographer Stanley Forman was able to capture the exact moment that the balcony collapsed and the mother and child were sent plummeting towards the ground. Unfortunately the woman died upon impact however her daughter did survive the traumatic event. Forman was awarded the 1975 World Press Prize for the image. To me, the picture appears suspended in time and I can construct an entire narrative of the event in my head. In some ways it does not seem real and I have to remind myself that the photograph is not staged or edited. These are real people and the poor girl has what has to be one of the worst moments in her life forever preserved. 


No comments:

Post a Comment