Tuesday 13 September 2011

Photo of the Week

This past July I went on an overseas trip to Europe and one of my final detonations was Amsterdam. Aside from taking a bike tour, gorging myself to flotation on dutch pancakes and visiting the Van Gogh Museum, I made sure I visited the House of Anne Frank. The twelve year old Jewish girl is one of the most associated faces with the tragedy of the holocaust, injecting identity among the masses of nameless corpses that are synonymous with the nazi regime. The house has been converted into a museum and displays several photos of Anne and her family. The photo that hid me the hardest and evoked the most tragedy and despair was that of Otto Frank, returning to his empty home (which had been his self-imposed prison for so long) having been the only survivor within his family. His wife and two daughters were killed during the war and even without this knowledge, the photo is most definitely that of a broken man.


No comments:

Post a Comment